How To Clip Your Dog’s Nails?
Nail clipping can be a smooth sail or the worst nightmare with your dog. Either ways you have to keep their nails nice and short to prevent them from getting painful paws and also to stop you from getting scratches. Here is how you can clip your dog’s nails and turn it from the worst nightmare to a smooth sail!
What You Will Need
- Special doggy nail clippers. DO NOT use human nail clippers because dogs have rounded nails so they require clippers that provide pressure on all sides.
- Treats! And lots of it! Make sure the treats are made to small pieces because we are not kidding when we say we need lots of it!
- Styptic powder, or a bit of cornflour, just in case you nip their quick (which is the pink area of their nail that has blood vessels).
- And of course, your pooch!
Here’s how you do it
- Make sure your dog is comfortable with you touching their paws and examining it. Your dog should be trained to keep their paw on your lap on command.
- This time when you tell them to keep his paw on your lap, show him the nail clippers and give a treat.
Now, show the clippers again, and let him inspect the clippers from some time. He might get a little restless.
- Get his attention immediately by giving a treat and ask him to put his paw on your lap again. Repeat this step a few times till they are comfortable with seeing the clippers.
- Once he is comfortable, just touch the clippers to his nails and give a treat. Repeat this a few times to make him comfortable.
- Now it is time to clip those nails! Be swift and do not clip the quick. In case you accidentally clip it, take a pinch of the styptic powder and press it against the quick for ten seconds. This will make the blood clot in that area and stop them from bleeding. Give them a few extra treats for being so patient.
- Repeat this on the other front leg. If they are already accustomed to the clippers do not repeat right from the first step.
- Keep their attention on you with treats, this will help to comfort them too.
Dogs will require a few days to a few weeks to be trained for nail clipping so do start early with the training. Also make sure that you give them very small portions of their favorite treat so that they know they are in for something fun. The size has to be small do that they don’t get bored of the same treat!